Saturday 5 March 2011

A Brighter Yesterday: Ghetto Blast Me

Again, this post relates to the pet hates issue I stated a few days ago (see below post). This time I suppose my 'pet hate' is 2011- or today's world/ society. Obviously, life and technology is a lot more advanced than say 20 or even 10 years ago, but wouldn't it be nice to simplify things a little more, i.e., travel back to a time where technology was still there but didn't rule our lives. No annoying iPods on buses, no kids glued to their phones.

With that in mind, I've been thinking just where would I turn the clock back to? As stated, a place where technology was still present and developing but wasn't at the ridiculous level it is today where people rely on it. Therefore, I would choose the 80's. It's a decade I've always wanted to experience; the crazy clothes, the music, the art and the rules of society. How could I draw that though? What would represent the 80's to me? Then I remembered an old Boombox which I used to listen to as a kid from the 80's. This most definitely says 1980's to me whenever I think of that era. Even the meaning of the Ghetto Blaster is something I admire- the freedom to express our likes and dislikes, tastes and beliefs with others. As a result, the kid across the street could subsequently switch his on and you'd get a feel of that person- his interests and personality.

The idea of producing more illustrations of the same ilk is still lurking, as well as the idea of turning them into a mini series focusing on how hectic 2011 is compared to even 10 years ago, such is the rate of technology and society.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are very welcome...